Saturday, March 31, 2012

Dinagyang 2012: Tribu Pan-ay, Ati Tribe Champs

Tribu Pan-ay, Champion of the Dinagyang 2012 Ati Tribes Competition!

Tribu Pan-ay is composed of students from Fort San Pedro National High School. Their former name was Tribu San Pedro in honour of the apostle and saint believed by Christians as the keeper of Heaven’s gate (www.dinagyangsailoilo.com).

Even in the streetdance, you can say they were everybody’s favorite. Everybody cheered them as they go, the Festival kings! Why not? They were the grand champion of last year’s Ati competition, winning all the way to the Aliwan Festival of 2011, not only copping the crown as the best of the country’s festival of festivals, but were brought to no less than New York as part of the grand prize. Celebrities!

I was in the streets taking pictures from tribe one; they were third from last so it was a long wait. This was my first time to witness Dinagyang so I haven’t really seen them first hand.  The minute I saw their mean-looking-larger-than-truck Eagle…I said ‘Oh Man! This one I gotta see!’. 
So I raced back to the sports complex, wormed thru the crowds, past the stern-looking guardia civils (the crowd control police) onto the VIP platform (shhhhh!) and easeled up to the front albeit kneeling on the cement just to watch these kids.

Then it’s just WOW!  If I wasn’t kneeling I would be jumping up and down cheering! Their energy was contagious! If I wasn’t taking pictures, I would be clapping and shouting together with five hundred people, cheering them on! But I had to check myself since I was a fugitive in the VIP platform or the people behind would have thrown me outside the grandstand rails.

The performance was indeed worthy of the reputation. Their eagle inspired costumes blending rhythmically with their master-crafted moves wowed the crowds, impressed the foreigners…and from what I heard all the way from judging area 1. I was in the last judging area, expecting the kids to tire this one out, but gee….just where did they get those energy!

Their repertoire was imaginative. Kind of a strange mix up of Ati lore, with the eagle and all that, but who cared? Nah! No one…everybody went wild! They had this electric appeal to the crowd.

Their number, I guess, was inspired from the power of an eagle, with the eagle-looking babaylans (or something), demonstrative of life I think…starting from the eagle’s eggs….

Then the white chicks….to the full-grown eagles….splendid!
Even their drummers were attuned to the theme, not only the rhythm!

Tribu Pan-ay was also a trending topic on Twitter after their winning performance was beamed live via local free television and live streaming. Aside from this year’s championship, Tribu Pan-ay won the award for best in costume designer, best in musical director, best in music, best in choreography and best in performance. Their choreographer, Mr. Rommel Flogen, was declared the best choreographer. Each minor award was worth P10,000.  In the local news, Dr. Bresilda Floro, principal of FSPNHS and tribe manager of Tribu Pan-ay broadcasted her thanks to her students for showing their best in the competition. She promised that the tribe will work hard again to retain their crown for next year’s Dinagyang. Something’s telling me this isn’t my last Dinagyang…well then, I think that’s decided.
Here's what Tribu Pan-ay looked like before they donned their eagle skins!

Before I forget, here’s the complete list of winners in the Dinagyang Festival Competitions. Thank you all for making my Dinagyang moments just simply unforgettable!

Ati Tribes Competition:
Champion: Tribu Pan-ay
1st Runner Up: Tribu Lunok
2nd Runner Up: Tribu Ilonganon
3rd Runner Up: Tribu Paghidaet
4th Runner Up: Tribu Atub-Atub

Minor Awards went to:
Best in Street Dancing: Tribu Lunok
Best in Performance: Tribu Pan-ay
Best in Choreography: Tribu Pan-ay
Best in Music: Tribu Pan-ay
Best Musical Director: Tribu Pan-ay
Best Costume Designer: Tribu Pan-ay
Best in Discipline: Tribu Paghidaet
Best Headdress: Tribu Paghidaet
Best Choreographer: Tribu Pan-ay

The Kasadyahan Festival Winners:
Champion: Salakayan Festival of Miag-ao, Iloilo
1st Runner Up: Tribu Mandaragat
2nd Runner Up: Sinulog sang Oracon Festival of Sibunag, Guimaras
3rd Runner Up: Sinadya sa Halaran of Capiz
4th Runner Up: Tribu Maragtas of West Visayas State University

Minor Awards of Kasadyahan went to:
Best in Street dance: Tribu Panguyang of Antique
Best in Performance: Salakayan Festival of Miag-ao
Best in Choreography: Salakayan Festival
Best Choreographer: Salakayan Festival
Best in Music: Tribu Mandaragat
Best in Costume: Sinulog sang Oracon Festival

Overall, the Dinagyang was one helluva festival! Now I understand why some would say it’s magical. Yep, its magic worked on me…and I was intoxicated. Still smiling by the time I’m back in the office. The big banga last year, the eagle this year…now what is in store for next year! Ahh, can’t wait!

Missed the parade? here's my post of all the other tribes in action:
Dinagyang 2012: The Fast and Furious Ati Warriors of Iloilo     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...